Virtual buddy volunteer for our new befriending service
Purple Elephant befriending service - Virtual Buddy Volunteer Role
We know that some families are really struggling with lockdown. Through a virtual buddying system we would like to offer children from vulnerable families the opportunity to have a positive interaction with an adult outside the family.
Virtual Buddy volunteers will have regular facetime calls (using their preferred media) with a child aged between 5 and 12yrs. They will engage with activities that they choose together such as reading, chatting, doing a simple craft activity or playing a game. Parents will be expected to be in the room, but not to take part in the call.
Virtual buddies can give children a break from their family and vice versa; parents get a little time to themselves or to focus on other siblings.
What skills and experience does a virtual buddy need?
· A sense of humour and the ability to engage with children.
· An open minded, non-judgemental approach.
· Ideally experience of working or volunteering with vulnerable families.
· An understanding of boundaries and confidentiality.
· Willingness to follow safeguarding policy when required.
· Ideally a current DBS clearance and recent safeguarding training.
We ask that you commit to weekly calls of up to an hour with the child and a monthly catchup with Purple Elephant staff. We ask that you keep a simple record of your contact with the child.
What will you get out of it?
· The chance to help a child have fun.
· To help a family who may be struggling with social isolation.
· Be part of Purple Elephant’s work to improve opportunities for vulnerable families to thrive.
· Valuable experience if you’re looking to return to work or progress your career.